|Queen Mary Hospital|
|Location||102 Pok Fu Lam Road, Pok Fu Lam, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong|
|Type||District General, Teaching|
|Affiliated university||Faculty of Dentistry & Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, University of Hong Kong|
|Network||Hong Kong West Cluster|
|Emergency department||Yes, accident and emergency and trauma centre|
|Opened||13 April 1937|
|Designated||22 January 2010|
|Queen Mary Hospital|
|Literal meaning||Mary Hospital|
The Queen Mary Hospital is the largest district general hospital located in Pok Fu Lam on Hong Kong Island of Hong Kong. It is part of the teaching hospital of the Faculty of Dentistry and Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine of the University of Hong Kong. It has 1,706 beds. It provides general medical and surgical services to the residents of Western and Southern districts and is a tertiary referral centre for the whole territory of Hong Kong and beyond.
Queen Mary Hospital had its foundation stone laid on 10 May 1935 by the Governor of Hong Kong, William Peel, and was officially opened on 13 April 1937 by Andrew Caldecott, the then Governor of Hong Kong. The hospital was named for Mary of Teck, the widowed queen consort of King George V of the United Kingdom. It then replaced the Government Civil Hospital as the main accident and emergency hospital for Hong Kong Island. The hospital was greatly expanded over the years, with two major expansion projects completed in 1955 and 1983, the 2nd being designed by London-based hospital architects, Llewelyn Davies.
Queen Mary Hospital's main ward tower, Block K, is one of the tallest hospital buildings in Asia at 137 metres (449 ft) (28 storeys).
As of 31 March 2019, the hospital has 1,711 beds.
- Accident and emergency
- Trauma centre
- Clinical Oncology
- Cardiothoracic Anaesthesiology
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Ear, Nose & Throat
- Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- Oral Maxillo-facial Surgery & Dental Surgery
- Orthopaedics & Traumatology
- Paediatrics & Adolescent Medicine
- Paediatric Cardiology
- Pathology & Clinical Biochemistry
- Clinical Psychology
- Medical Social Work
- Occupational Therapy
- Prosthetics and Orthotics
- Speech Therapy
- "香港聖約翰救傷隊 - 沙田甲、乙救護支隊".
- "List of the 1,444 Historic Buildings in Building Assessment" (PDF). Antiquities Advisory Board. Hong Kong. 27 December 2013.
- "Hospital Authority Annual Report 2016-2017" (PDF). Hospital Authority. 2017.
- "Queen Mary Hospital: Foundation Stone Laid by His Excellency The Governor Inadequacy of Present G.C.H.". South China Morning Post. Hong Kong. 11 May 1935. p. 11.
- "The New Hospital: Formally Opened for Public Inspection H.E. Sir Andrew Caldecott Performs Ceremony Meets Medical Needs". South China Morning Post. Hong Kong. 14 April 1937. p. 10.
- "HOSPITAL AUTHORITY ANNUAL REPORT 醫院管理局年報 2018-2019" (PDF). Hospital Authority. Retrieved 28 July 2020.
- Yau, Elaine (12 September 2016). "Why Macau spends millions to send its patients to Hong Kong – some by air". South China Morning Post. Archived from the original on 9 April 2017. Retrieved 9 April 2017. - Print title: "Patients running out"
- Au, W. Y. (2011). "A Biography of Arsenic and Medicine in Hong Kong and China". Hong Kong Medical Journal = Xianggang Yi Xue Za Zhi. 17 (6): 507–513. PMID 22147326. Retrieved 11 April 2020.